Skip to main content

Changed rendering (and evaluation) behaviour in APEX 4.2

Today we ran into a problem in our recently upgraded APEX environment. In one of the pages we had a report defined on a pipelined table function. This function also changed a package global variable. The value of that global variable is used as a source for a page item that shows up in the same region just below the report. This ran fine in 4.1, it runs fine when we set the "Compatibility Mode" to 4.1 as well. But if we set that mode to 4.2...the page item shows...nothing !!!

What happened? According to the help on that Compatibility Mode property, items (and regions) in a display point are evaluated before rendering that display point. This is done to find out whether items / regions are displayed or not - to support the grid layout. To dig a little deeper (thanks to Patrick Wolf, who was helping us with this issue): As soon as the region grid is calculated, the same is done for the page item grid in the region which gets painted next. This calculation also has to determine the page item values, because they could be used in a condition of one of the following page items. This is all done before the region source is actually executed.

So, in our case, the value of the page item - what was based on the result of the pipelined table function - was evaluated before that pipelined table function was actually executed...and therefore returned null. We could easily spot that in the debug output: When we compared the order of evaluations of the region and the items we saw a (huge) difference in 4.1 and 4.2 mode.

So now we know what caused the issue. But how to solve it?
We created a PL/SQL sub region to the reports region and moved the page item to that subregion. That was not enough to evaluate the page item value after running the report. So we removed the PL/SQL source of that page item and moved it to the source of it's PL/SQL region. Even that didn't work out. But when we set the Item Display Position to "Below Content", we - finally - saw that the item was evaluated and rendered in the right position of the complete page flow....

So when you notice - similar -  strange behaviour when running your upgraded pages in 4.2, it is worthwhile to check the difference in evaluation and rendering order is the cause of that!

2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Showing a success message after closing a modal dialog

APEX 5 comes with Modal Dialogs out of the box. Very neat. Especially for adding and changing data. And to minimise the number of time a user has to click, it could be useful to add a "Close Dialog" process after the actual data processing. When the data processing fails, the Dialog stays on top showing the error. When data processing runs fine, the Dialog is closed ... without any confirmation. And this might be scary for a shaky user.

So how can we provide the user some feedback? On Page 4 of the Sample Dialog Application you can see one solution: up on a Dialog Closed Event on the parent page it does a redirect to refresh the parent page appending the success message of the "Close Dialog" process. This has two drawbacks. First, it probably refreshes more than necessary. And second, if you're using multiple layers of dialogs (dialogs that open other dialogs) the message appears in the "parent dialog".
As an alternative you could follow these steps: 1…

APEX 5 New Static File Features

In APEX 4 you could upload files - like CSS files, JavaScript files, Images and whatever else you like - into the APEX Repository. When you navigate to Shared Components, there is a Files section that offers three different options:
CSS Files are always uploaded (and changed !) for the whole Workspace. For Images and Static Files (usually JavaScript) you could choose whether they should be available for the whole Workspace or for a specific Application only. And if you had a lot of files - e.g. a lot of images - then you had to go through the upload process one-by-one. But that's usually a one time only thing. If you make changes to the CSS and JavaScript files - and that's a continuous process in development - then you had to delete the existing file and upload the new one. Over and over again. And meanwhile fighting the cache of the webserver and your browser.  And another irritating issue: You couldn't use relative references in your CSS or JavaScript files as they just…

Using LDAP for Authentication and Authorization within APEX

One of my current customers would like to use their LDAP (Microsoft Active Directory) server for authentication and authorization of APEX applications. Of course we tried to set up a standard LDAP Authenication that's available within APEX. But we couldn't get that to work. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the client stored their Users within Groups within Groups within .... . Or maybe it doesn't do a full tree walk in the directory. Or maybe it is just because it is Microsoft - and not Oracle Internet Directory (OID). So we moved to a custom Authentication using the DBMS_LDAP functions (and some examples from the Pro Oracle Application Express book and Tim Hall - a.k.a. Oracle Base).

One of the issues we encountered that we wanted to use the user's login name, like "jdoe" and not his full name ("John Doe"). And the login name is stored in the "sAMAccountName" attribute. But authenticating using just "jdoe" didn't work. …